Sunday, September 26, 2010

This is why we go....

Lately I can't seem to get the upcoming trip to Haiti off my mind. At times I wonder if or how God can even use me down there. I am just one little person with not so many skills, so how I can I possibly make a difference?

Then I remember that when he calls you, and you are obedient to that call, he WILL qualify you. He will never leave you to "wing it" on your own....so "get behind me Satan!"

I have been trying to get current information about the situation down there, and read just the other day that there are 1.5 MILLION people living in the various tent cities. Sometimes a "tent" is simply sticks and old sheets put together - the bare ground is the floor. It is estimated that most of these same people will be in their tents for years - as recovery and clean up is beyond slow.

A day or so ago, a storm came through, (think along the lines of a tornado and torrential rains here), and those who were displaced after the earthquake once again lost their shelter. They already are without power, and food and clean drinking water...and now the "roof" over their heads is gone....again.

I wonder how many of them have Jesus to cry out to? I wonder how many wonder why this is happening to them? I wonder how many do not know that their God has them in the palm of His hand at this very moment, and that He loves them?

For those people here in America who think it is better to just send a check, or to take care of those in our own community and let "someone else" worry about the people in Haiti, I ask you this....

If  your world as you knew it literally collapsed all around you, and you found yourself without, food, shelter, and water, and your only means of supporting your family had been stripped from you without warning, and you could see no end in sight to your suffering....Wouldn't you LOVE it if someone showed up to hold your hand, to offer a hug, to wipe your tears, to bring you a meal, or medicine, or shoes! 

How wonderful to have a brother or sister come to you and not only TELL you of the love of Christ, but come and SHOW you His love...to share in your suffering. To simply love you through your pain...

THIS is why we go. This is why we can't NOT go. How will they know the love of Jesus if we do not tell them through our actions?

No comments:

Post a Comment