Sunday, September 12, 2010

All that matters.....

As the time draws near for our trip to Haiti in November, Paul and I are naturally trying to organize and get things in order: airfare, shots, what to take with us, etc. It is a bit stressful for me, and I get a little overwhelmed by it all - wondering if it will really come together, wondering if we can financially "pull it off," and what will we have to sacrifice or give up if we go...will we be able to get groceries when we get back, pay the power bill....you know those worries that can sometimes consume out thoughts.

The more I think and pray, I am left with the thought of what a selfish thought pattern that really is. We are going into a country that was struggling before the 7.0 earthquake destroyed the infrastructure, killed like 200,000 people, left millions homeless, and created 300,00 NEW orphans. How dare I?

While we live pretty simply by American standards, compared to much of the rest of the world, I live as royalty. I am left wondering how we became so blind and numb to the plight of the rest of the world. Are those of us who call ourselves Christians so wrapped up in ourselves that we think going to church on Sunday and Wed. night, and giving our 10% is really all it takes to please our God?

Do we really think that He is going to be understanding when we stand before him and explain that we had to have a new car, a bigger house, designer clothes, plastic surgery, or whatever the case may be instead of helping His children who are dying of starvation, dying of thirst and disease every SECOND of  EVERY day.

I don't think so. There is no excuse we can offer to justify our self centered lifestyles. It is time we move to action before it is too late.

As Christ told the church in Sardis, who had a great reputation, "I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead" Rev. 3:1. All that matters is the reality of who we are before God.

His work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames. 1 Cor. 3:13-15

Do I just want to "escape" and get into His kingdom by the skin of my teeth, or do I want Jesus to be pleased with me?  To say, "Well done my good and faithful servant." It is time for us to stop living selfish lives, forgetful of our God. Nothing matters except our King and our God.

Please join us as we get "Radical" with a "Crazy Love" for the One who gave everything for us.

1 comment:

  1. I borrowed these two photos from new friends who are in Haiti. It is my hope that they will provide a little perspective for those of here in the U.S. who sometimes think we have it so rough. I am not pointing my finger at anyone, since I too find my self with those thoughts from time to time. I pray those days are now over. It is not about us. It never has been. It is all about God. End of story.

    ReplyDelete